The true culprits in situations like these are corporate insiders who are willing to disclose trade secrets and other such information. Sometimes it’s for money, sometimes it’s for revenge against their own company, or even the possibility of blackmail. But regardless of the motive, the problem is increasing. With the technology of the day, it’s much easier for people to copy files digitally and not be detected.
According to the FBI, here are some signs that may indicate someone is involved in this illegal activity:
- If they work odd hours without being asked.
- They take home or copy important documents without explanation.
- They ignore policies about confidential material or personal software.
- They go on short trips without explanation.
- They buy things you don’t think they should be able to afford.
- They seem overwhelmed, or have experienced a home or workplace crisis.
- They appear concerned of investigations.
If you suspect someone of this kind of action, contact your workplace security and local FBI office.
For more security and safety information, find us on Facebook and Twitter.